So, it's been a little over a week since I started my exercise program. It must have been a breeze, you may think, after reading my pre-exercise pep talk last week...NOT! It's been hard, even for just one week. I guess the saying is true; you need to take it one day at a time.
The first three days were good; I did my walk-jog, reaching my "finish line" quicker each time. On the fourth day, I could not do my walk-jog because my legs were really sore. I had totally forgotten that it is EXTREMELY important to warm up, and even more important to cool down after a walk-jog. I did not fare much better on Day 5. I was dealing with a draining emotional issue. To top it all, I ate a lunch of french fries and fried chicken, and while watching a movie a little later, I downed a big bag of popcorn that I had purchased at the movie rental store. When I went for my walk-run about 2-3 hours later, I did not have the stamina I needed to accomplish the goal that I had set for my first week of alternating walking for 2 minutes with jogging for 2 minutes during my walk-jogs. My stamina is the pits so I can't jog for an extended time without my heart yelling at me to stop. Anyways, post my junk food-emotional turmoil bonanza, I could not even keep up with my measly 2 min walk-2 min jog pace. I chalked it up to my emotional tiredness, but more so, my junk food habit that afternoon.
Fast forward to today; Day 8- I did not exercise today. I had been hoping to do an upper-body pilates workout at home to tone my arms(my legs are getting stronger and more defined, but running does not do much for my arms, so they are crying out for some attention), but I ended up taking an early evening nap, and not wanting to exercise. "Why?", you may ask. Blame it on the blues. The person who had interviewed me for my entertainment job had told me that I would be receiving a call from the appointment booker this past Monday to give me some shifts for the week, but I received no such call. By about 4 p.m. Monday, when I still had not heard from the booker, I called the interviewer, and he told me that the booker was still away from the office, unexpectedly, and he would be back this week, maybe.
Have I told you how much I hate uncertainty? I hate it like the plague. Anyways, the entertainment company I got a job with is a big one, so I am not afraid of it being a shady company with shady work conditions, hours, etc.; however, I cannot stand the laissez-faire attitude of the company; an attitude which I definitely perceived, at the interview. After that interview, I had continued my job search, but was unsuccessful, so I decided to try and enjoy my time off before my May 15ish start date with the company. I was only able to let go of my apprehension because my husband offered to lend me money for my June rent. I had been so dismayed about the job starting no earlier than May 17th because I was worried my first pay cheque would arrive Friday June 3rd, a couple of days after my rent cheque is due. The threat of eviction loomed in my mind, and it was not unfounded. Last October, I had paid my rent late because my student loan arrived late, and I received an eviction warning from my landlord.
So ... I am bummed out that I am not working yet, and it has impacted my workouts. On Monday(Day 6), I did not gather myself to work out until later in the evening, when it was getting dark. Running along the canal was totally out of the question as a result, so I walked up and down the two central flights of stairs of my apartment about 27 times, making my flights climbed, 54. My apartment building has no elevator, just the central stairs from the main entrance, and this staircase is in full view, complete with wall to ceiling windows facing it, so I don't have any safety concerns. Man, was it a workout! The next day(Day 6), I ended up downtown walking in between errands and the library to do some job search and applications. It was a bit of a workout, though my legs still felt sore from previous workouts.
On Wednesday(Day 7), I was feeling bummed out again about my job prospects. My french skills are not that good, and it appears that in Montreal, you need french for just about every job, including painting, landscaping, and other manual jobs. Even housekeeping jobs were having catches. I had seen this promising job advertised on craigslist seeking a female to do some light housework such as vacuuming, dusting, every two weeks. "I can do that!", I thought. It was looking good up until I read the part that said job required the female to work TOPLESS! O.K.....I might be having trouble finding work, but that????
Anyways, spoke with hubby, and he told me not to be discouraged. I had trouble following his advice. I went to my bedroom, took a little nap, listened to the radio, and began feeling better; however, it was getting dark outside so I could not go for my walk-jog. I opted for Plan B; climbing the stairs of my apartment building. I climbed about 50 flights, then called it quits. Lesson learned this week? Have a plan B for all the plans in your life, even exercise!
xoxo,
Fat-Dietitian-to-be
Thursday, May 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment