Yes,
I promised that today I would walk,run,jog, and I did just that! From the comfort of my bedroom, I could see the snow lightly falling- It sure looked nice! On the radio, they announced a slight wind causing it to feel like -7. Thank goodness it was not minus 20!
Getting outside was not without its tales of woe though. My rooom mate had come back in and told me that her friends had not wanted to accompany her to go grocery shopping in our little town because it was cold.
I got out and realized I needed a winter hat. Got it and headed back out. Felt self- conscious though, especially jogging in a rich neighbourhood. I was thinking that the white folks would be wondering why a black girl would be jogging in this snowy, "cold" weather. "Hmm, there must be some sinister motive. Maybe she is out spying the neighbourhood to find the perfect house to steal from?" As a result, I was pretty much averting my gaze from the houses when jogging.
When I first started my walk, jog, run, I was thinking "Man, am I out of shape!" and getting paranoid about my weight gain and the increasing hunger I have been feeling lately. "Maybe, I am pre-diabetic", I was musing, or worse, diabetic. I must mention that I did not mention the REAL reason I freaked out about seeing my latest weight reading. The truth is that I gained ten pounds in a week or so; less than two weeks max. AND THE SCALE WAS NOT BROKEN!
Later on, as I was passing a house and savoring the wintery weather, I began thinking of my childhood house in Kitchener when both my parents were still alive.
On my jog, walk, run back, I did a little sprint and dreamt that I was in the Terry Fox Run for Cancer- running for my parents. I lost my dad almost twenty years ago to colon cancer and lost my mom a year ago to the same foe, colon cancer. Running is indeed good therapy.
This year, I will stop eating my feelings and get back to the real me; a stronger, healthier me.
Welcome back fat dietitian-to-be! Welcome back.
P.S. Man, am I craving pizza! :(
Saturday, January 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment